Newborn sessions are one of my absolutely favorite things in life. I believe that newborns are Gods way of reminding us life is precious and magical.
However, we are dealing with new life, and there are some things to keep in mind. Bring your patience, babies are unexpected, and their feeding schedule can literally change overnight. They get overtired, they fight it and cry because they are tired. But we will listen, and we will soothe them the best we can, and once they are sleeping the magic happens. Here are a few trade secrets to make newborn sessions a bit smoother for everyone.
Tips and Tricks for Studio or Home Sessions
- Baby is Boss, Whatever they need, we give them.
- Whatever method you choose to feed your baby, be prepared to do so during the session.
- The need to soothe, if your baby uses pacifiers to soothe, bring them. If they use your finger, have it ready.
- Have diapers and wipes ready, you never know what might happen.
- Parents, bring hydration. Newborn sessions are long, and the room will be warm, keep yourself hydrated.
- You are more than welcome to bring any special blankets, stuffed animals or love tokens (wedding rings)
For newborn sessions done in your home, please have a clean space (clutter free) ready near a natural light source. It can be in your room, the baby's room, living room, anywhere there is enough space to shoot and has nice natural lighting. Make sure your home is warm, the warmer baby is, the happier they will be.
I will bring a couple of my baskets, outfits, and props that are easy to travel with. If you have a newborn pillow or boppy, we will need to use it. If you don't have one, please let me know before the session so that I may bring mine.
Finally, just relax and enjoy the time with your brand new love.