Booking your session is as easy as cake!
A cake smash session is an absolutely wonderful way to celebrate a birthday or get memorable photographs of your baby! The images taken at a cake smash session are unique, memorable, and make incredible decor and gifts for your home and family. Cake smashes are fun for baby and parents, and provide a unique opportunity to capture your baby’s curiosity and personality at a young age. Many clients choose a cake smash session for documenting baby’s first birthday, while others see the session itself as the special occasion! It is our pleasure to work with you and your family to craft a special photo experience just for your baby.
What to Wear
Choosing an outfit for baby is one of the most enjoyable parts of planning a cake smash session! We highly recommend choosing an outfit after picking out your confection to create a beautiful cohesive look. Here are a few tips on selecting baby’s clothing:
• Choose colors that match or complement the colors of the cake
• Ruffles, tulle, ribbon, and lace look fabulous on camera
• Accessories such as headbands, necklaces, and cute shoes add detail and interest to your images
• Try to steer away from dark colors or bright white; off white, pastel, or bright colors look best
• Avoid items that could be damaged by soapy water or cake
• Make sure the outfit is washable!
Choosing A Cake
The most important item needed for a cake smash session is the cake itself! We encourage our clients to purchase or make their own cake for baby to ensure it is exactly what you want and expect. Some babies may have special dietary needs as well, making it important for you to select a treat that keeps your bundle of joy happy and healthy. Here are some guidelines for selecting a cake:
• Lighter cakes (whites, yellows) photograph much, much better than darker ones and look more appropriate smeared on baby’s face
• Pure white frosting can be difficult to photograph; try off-white or different colors for best results
• Sprinkles, stripes, and colored accents look fabulous on camera - try selecting a cake with interesting decorations
• Cupcakes are less expensive than full cakes and can produce results with baby that are just as effective
If your session location is not at home, it’s important to bring lots of clean-up material to make sure baby is clean and happy after the cake smash! The smashing session may not last more than a few minutes, and it’s best to be prepared for clean-up as soon we finish.
• Several clean bath towels
• Baby wipes
• A roll of paper towels
• Bottle of water
• Gentle soap